The Rustin Fund is partnering with Foundation SEROvie to honor the legacy of our namesake, Bayard Rustin, and his work in Haiti. While working to promote democracy at home, Bayard Rustin also supported human rights struggles worldwide. As a Vice Chairman of the International Rescue Committee, he traveled the world working to secure food, medical care, education, and proper resettlement for refugees. He also helped found the National Emergency Coalition for Haitian Refugees. This organization works to protect the rights of Haitians seeking refuge from the poverty and political chaos of their troubled homeland.
Foundation SEROvie, founded in 1999, is one of the only LGBTQI organizations working in Haiti. SEROvie pairs health promotion for the LGBTQI community with human rights advocacy and socioeconomic empowerment. Today, SEROvie works on numerous program interventions: health care and basic nutrition, quality education for the LGBTQI and their children, and household economic security benefiting 22,000 clients and their families in 36 communities.
The current campaign will specifically focus on funding for LGBTQI safe houses, supporting victims of violence and disaster survivors, and socioeconomic empowerment.
Your funds will go directly to:
- Strengthening their socio-economic empowerment project (short-term training in entrepreneurship and hands-on job training).
- Coaching and Mentoring for the development of small businesses.
- Continue to train and support 100 new survivors of violence.
- Support for field agents who collect data relating to cases of violence and accompany survivors to centers for healthcare treatment, psychosocial and legal support
- Support for relocation of survivors who have fled areas controlled by armed gangs.
- Strengthening psychological assistance for rape victims and prevention of suicide cases.
Please consider donating this holiday season. The Rustin Fund will match your donations up to $5,000.